Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Oh Mary, don't you weep!

My personal interpretation of Mary Don't You Weep was that Mary was being told not to weep, because you are strong and God will protect you, just as God protected Moses and the Israelites by drowning Pharaoh's army.

It was mentioned during class that Mary was a strong woman who did very courageous things, such as wash Jesus's feet in the referenced bible verse.

But even the strongest people have their own moments of weakness, and I wanted to depict in my illustration the strong Mary weeping in privacy - but with the big wave behind her representing and reminding her of God's power and her own strength to overcome her hardships.



John 20:11-15
11 But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb, and as she wept she stooped to look into the tomb. 12 And she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and one at the feet. 13 They said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.” 14 Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.”


Out of all the versions posted on the class blog, Inez Andrews' take is by far the one that resonated the most with me. Undoubtedly she is a great performer and the song is a great performance in itself, but the sincerity in her voice gives her version of the song a quality that the other versions posted lack (in my opinion, of course...).

No comments:

Post a Comment